1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report A, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services; 2020.
2. Gregg EW, Zhuo X, Cheng YJ, Albright AL, Narayan KM, Thompson TJ. Trends in lifetime risk and years of life lost due to diabetes in the USA, 1985- 2011: a modelling study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014;2(11):867-874.
3. Turin TC, Saad N, Jun M, et al. Lifetime risk of diabetes among First Nations and non-First Nations people. CMAJ. 2016;188(16):1147-1153.
4. Saeedi P, Petersohn I, Salpea P, et al. Global and regional diabetes prevalence estimates for 2019 and projections for 2030 and 2045: Results from the International Diabetes Federation Diabetes Atlas, 9(th) edition. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2019;157:107843.
5. Sami W, Ansari T, Butt NS, Hamid MRA. Effect of diet on type 2 diabetes mellitus: A review. International Journal of Health Sciences. 2017;11(2):65-71.
6. Talaei M, Wang Y-L, Yuan J-M, Pan A, Koh W-P. Meat, Dietary heme iron, and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: The Singapore Chinese Health Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;186(7):824-833.
7. Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes. American Heart Association. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/diabetes/why-diabetes-matters/ cardiovascular-disease–diabetes. Published 2015. Updated 30 August 2015. Accessed 11 May, 2020.
8. Raghavan S, Vassy JL, Ho Y-L, et al. Diabetes mellitus-related all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in a national cohort of adults. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2019;8(4):e011295.
9. Geiss LS, Li Y, Hora I, Albright A, Rolka D, Gregg EW. Resurgence of diabetes-related nontraumatic lower-extremity amputation in the young and middle-aged adult U.S. population. Diabetes Care. 2019;42(1):50-54.
10. Li Y, Burrows NR, Gregg EW, Albright A, Geiss LS. Declining rates of hospitalization for nontraumatic lower-extremity amputation in the diabetic population aged 40 years or older: U.S., 1988-2008. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(2):273-277.
11. Tavee J, Zhou L. Small fiber neuropathy: A burning problem. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2009;76(5):297-305.
12. Prevention CfDCa. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2020. Atlanta, GA2020.
13. Gregg EW, Chen H, Wagenknecht LE, et al. Association of an intensive lifestyle intervention with remission of type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2012;308(23):2489-2496.
14. Steven S, Lim EL, Taylor R. Population response to information on reversibility of Type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine. 2013;30(4):e135-e138.
15. Gillett R, Gal S. One chart reveals how the cost of insulin has skyrocketed in the US, even though nothing about it has changed. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/insulin-price-increased-last-decade-chart-2019-9. Published 2019. Updated 18 Sept 2019. Accessed 13 May, 2020.
16. American Diabetes Association. Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2017. Diabetes Care. 2018;41(5):917-928.
17. American Diabetes Association. 2. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2016;39 Suppl 1:S13-22.
18. Kahn S, Cooper ME, Del Prato S. Pathophysiology and treatment of type 2 diabetes: perspectives on the past, present, and future. Lancet. 2014;383(9922):1068-1083.
19. World Health Organization. Global Report on Diabetes. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization;2016.
20. Ley SH, Ardisson Korat AV, Sun Q, et al. Contribution of the Nurses’ Health Studies to uncovering risk factors for type 2 diabetes: diet, lifestyle, biomarkers, and genetics. Am J Public Health. 2016;106(9):1624-1630.
21. Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, et al. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(6):393-403.
22. Tuomilehto J, Lindstrom J, Eriksson JG, et al. Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(18):1343-1350.
23. McInnes N, Smith A, Otto R, et al. Piloting a remission strategy in type 2 diabetes: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102(5):1596-1605.
24. Lean ME, Leslie WS, Barnes AC, et al. Primary care-led weight management for remission of type 2 diabetes (DiRECT): an open-label, cluster- randomised trial. Lancet. 2018;391(10120):541-551.
25. Mottalib A, Sakr M, Shehabeldin M, Hamdy O. Diabetes remission after nonsurgical intensive lifestyle intervention in obese patients with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:468704.
26. Barnard N, Cohen J, Jenkins D, Turner-Mcgrievy G. A low-fat vegan diet improves glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in a randomized clinical trial in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006;29(8):1777-1783.
27. Herman WH, Hoerger TJ, Brandle M, et al. The cost-effectiveness of lifestyle modification or metformin in preventing type 2 diabetes in adults with
impaired glucose tolerance. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142(5):323-332.
28. Lean MEJ, Leslie WS, Barnes AC, et al. Durability of a primary care-led weight-management intervention for remission of type 2 diabetes: 2-year results of the DiRECT open-label, cluster-randomised trial. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2019;7(5):344-355.
29. Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Within-trial cost-effectiveness of lifestyle intervention or metformin for the primary prevention of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(9):2518.
30. Karve A, Hayward RA. Prevalence, diagnosis, and treatment of impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance in nondiabetic U.S. adults. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(11):2355-2359.
31. Lee V, McKay T, Ardern CI. Awareness and perception of plant-based diets for the treatment and management of type 2 diabetes in a community education clinic: a pilot study. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism. 2015;2015:236234.
32. American Diabetes Association. Eating doesn’t have to be boring. American Diabetes Association. Nutrition Web site. https://www.diabetes.org/ nutrition. Published n.d. Accessed 11 May, 2020.
33. McMacken M, Shah S. A plant-based diet for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetes. Journal of Geriatric Cardiology : JGC. 2017;14(5):342-354.
34. Barnard ND, Katcher HI, Jenkins DJ, Cohen J, Turner-McGrievy G. Vegetarian and vegan diets in type 2 diabetes management. Nutr Rev. 2009;67(5):255-263.
35. Eikenberg JD, Davy BM. Prediabetes: a prevalent and treatable, but often unrecognized, clinical condition. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113(2):213- 218.
36. American Diabetes Association. 3. Prevention or delay of type 2 diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes—2020. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(Supplement 1):S32-S36.
37. Pischke CR, Marlin RO, Weidner G, Chi C, Ornish D. The role of lifestyle in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2006;30(2):1-7.