Recognized as the most comprehensive internal medicine and wellness provider in the Chicago region, Dr. John Principe’s WellBeingMD™ is an innovative practice using principles of Lifestyle Medicine. The practice features A RoadMap To Wellness™-- a six-week course for creating wellness and transforming lives. Healthy eating, fitness, and mindfulness activities are offered on-site within the newly developed WellBeingMD Center for Life™. Dr. Principe will share his “recipe for success” and offer perspective on structuring your practice for success and financial sustainability.
Medical school does not train physicians for financial success. While many physicians pick up pieces “on the job” they still have large holes in their administrative management skill set. Financial practice success requires a complete foundation or framework in which to build a strong practice. Mauricette Montredon, MBA, MA leads this session, covering all the basic elements and how they fit together for a successful Lifestyle Medicine focused practice.
One of the most direct and tangible benefits coming out of healthcare reform that is in effect now is the new Annual Wellness Visit (AWV). Those covered by Medicare have this as a fully-covered, no co-pay, no deductible benefit as of January 1, 2011. It is not a “physical”, but is a “wellness” evaluation and is to generate a personalized prevention plan, address risk factors, treatment options, etc. It will be interesting to see how other payers follow Medicare’s lead. In this workshop, taught by Sandra Lawson, MBA, you will learn everything you need to know to implement this service exceptionally well.
· Learn tools to provide this service exceptionally well and efficiently.
· Introduce your patients to LM treatment options in the context of the AWV.
· Sandra Lawson will be available to address your specific practice issues and questions.
The reality is that the single biggest component of LM is behavior change. Yet the world of medicine and behavioral health seem miles apart. This is changing with Lifestyle Medicine. Dr. Jerry Morris, foremost expert in the creation and management of models of integrated care, shares how medical professionals and behavioral health professionals can work together in ways that best benefit patients and are profitable in the process.
Based on research on proven and emerging models of integrated care, Dr. Morris will showcase several models across a range of practice settings placed within the new Healthcare Home, Accountable Care Organizations, and state Medicaid and Federal Medicare evolving systems.
· Integrated care in the context of the new healthcare act and EMRs.
· Exploration of Per Patient Per Month Reimbursement Systems, Step Scientifically Validated and Rank-Ordered treatment choices, and Case Management and Data Tracking Systems.
· The emergence of the powerful Nurse Case Managers, Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) within the public health system and the role of Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
· Barriers that will be erected to the delivery of care in hospital ERs and Inpatient Units, and the application of medication only approaches when the cost/benefit is poor in the long-run.
· Emerging roles of integrated teams and options for structuring working relationships for legal and regulatory purposes.
· Forecast of necessary changes in medical and behavioral education and practice.
· Projection of cost, revenue, and market share for multi-disciplinary practices of the future.
· The role of the patient and family in the new healthcare system.
· Dr. Morris will be available to address your specific issues and challenges.
Not only is government legislation radically changing healthcare, but technology is radically changing it at the same time. Patients are increasingly depending on the internet and technology to get information, make healthcare decisions, and connect with providers. Senior practice management experts say it is by far the biggest change in healthcare in their lifetime. To thrive in the future (and present) in LM practice one must be able to make technology work on their side. Many providers often feel constrained or overwhelmed by technology, however used wisely, technology frees a Lifestyle Medicine provider to do and be more than a typical provider. In this workshop led by Auden Utengen, MBA, you will learn to leverage technology to make the most of LM practice - from providing services through new channels to attracting patients.
· Technology and the internet as a Lifestyle Medicine provider’s most effective tools.
· Learn how technology expands the options for providing LM services.
· Learn how technology can make your practice more efficient with lower overhead costs.
· Your specific practice issues and questions will be addressed.
The most tangible, proven mechanism for providing Lifestyle Medicine that is paid for by insurers today is the billable group visit model as developed and taught by Dr. Edward Noffsinger. In this model, measures of provider satisfaction, patient satisfaction, and quality all go up. And you can do as well or better financially compared to standard office visits when it is implemented well. We are pleased to be able to have Dr. Noffsinger teach us personally how to successfully implement this model. This is a double-length four hour workshop.
· How to have a team of professionals work with you (dietitians, behaviorists, etc) AND get paid for it.
· Create a positive group dynamic that is better LM practice while everyone has more fun (including you).
· Structuring visits so that providers have less administrative burden (less charting).
· Requirements for doing group visits correctly (and avoiding common mistakes that get providers in real trouble with payers).
· Managing HIPPA and other regulatory issues.
· Dr. Noffsinger will be available to address your specific issues and practice dynamics.
Most physicians don’t know much more about nutrition than their receptionist. Lifestyle Medicine providers are different. But it is tough getting paid for working with patients on one of the most powerful tools to cure many diseases - nutrition. Dr. John Gobble, creator of MNT Assistant and mentor to private practice dietitians across the nation brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise in the area of reimbursed medical nutrition therapy. This workshop teaches you how to profitably and appropriately work with a dietitian.
· Clinical issues and philosophical alignment: treating with food.
· Power of the MD/RD team – increased adherence, better outcomes.
· What is covered and by whom?
· Learn which health insurance plans have the best coverage for nutrition services.
· Medical Nutrition Therapy as a Medicare preventive care service – free to eligible beneficiaries.
· Tools for providing efficient medical nutrition therapy services, data management, and billing.
· Success stories – how nutrition pays with higher profits and quality care.
· The right business structures for working with dietitians (and the wrong ones).
· Your questions on how to effectively integrate nutrition services into LM practice will be addressed.
Most of us now living have never seen such tremendous changes to healthcare as we are seeing today. What works for Lifestyle Medicine practice today may not work in upcoming years. How can you set your practice up for success? David Gans, Vice President at MGMA offers valuable perspective on what the changes taking place in healthcare will mean for Lifestyle Medicine and outlines how your practice can be on the cutting edge of success as these changes occur.
· Opportunities for LM practice today – Annual Wellness Visits, Intensive Cardiac Rehab, and other opportunities.
· Gain insight into the primary forces affecting Lifestyle Medicine and the direction these forces are moving.
· Explore likely possible outcomes for Lifestyle Medicine practice.
· Learn to best position yourself and your practice to succeed because of changes instead of in spite of changes.
· Dave Gans will be available to address your specific concerns and issues around changes occurring in healthcare.
· Exercise prescription as an element of successful Lifestyle Medicine practice.
· Options for working with fitness centers.
· Other methods and mechanisms for including exercise in your overall services and practice building plan.
· Your specific issues and questions on integrating medical fitness will be addressed.
What is a LM practice without patients? Not much. One of the biggest challenges in doing things differently with LM practice is having patients come to you. Many providers feel lost and very anxious about this topic. Many practices have “died on the vine” waiting for patients to show up and not knowing how to bring them through the front door. This session, taught by Sunnie Southern, MS, RD, LD offers tangible methods and provides tools for effectively Connecting With Patients.
· How can you effectively find and connect with cash-paying patients?
· How can you leverage technology to bring patients to your practice through multiple channels?
· Specific resources available to connect with patients.
· Your specific challenges addressed and questions answered.
Learn from seasoned professional in the field of private ("concierge") medicine and the Executive Director of the American Academy of Private Physicians, Tom Blue, how to redesign your practice revenue model to realize the marketplace demand and true value of Lifestyle Medicine for patients and employers.
Lifestyle Medicine physicians, like many other physician innovators, often struggle with the fact that their vision of optimal patient care demands time, effort, and technology that is frequently not reimbursed by the payer system. Private medicine offers physicians the opportunity to be compensated for the true value of their services by the actual recipient of those services - the patient. You will learn in this session that the leap into private medicine is more feasible than you may think. And you will also discover from real-life case studies that this model of health care delivery is not just for the rich. You can design your own value proposition and pricing model for the services you want to offer.